Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Endocrinologist Update

Today we were able to go to the DeVos Children's Hospital Endocrinology to see what is up with Addie not gaining weight. The appointment was originally set for the middle of May, but I got on the cancellation list and yesterday they called! So we went today.

Today Addie was just about 27" long, and 13 lbs, 12ish oz. (they did it metric, so that is what I think it was!) She is the size of a 5 month old, she is small as a whole, not just in weight, although, she is skinnier than she is tall, by a little.

The doctor checked out Addie, and was pretty nice. She said she was small, but seemed to be developmentally where she should be. So, that is good. We don't really know a lot more right now. Addie had to have a lot of blood taken, for a bunch of tests, most of the results should be back next week. In the mean time, we have to write what she eats for 3 days so they can count the calories. I am going to use up the rest of the forumla I have, and then move to solids full time.

Addie's blood is being tested for a lot of different things. Some things the doctor mentioned were Turner Syndrome which, after reading a little about it, I am quite sure Addie doesn't have. That test will take a little longer to get back because it is a chromosome test. They will also be checking her thyroid, and a bunch of other things were marked on the sheet as well, but I don't know what they all mean!

The doctor also mentioned she could have is Small for Gestational Age (SGA) which pretty much means that she was small from the start, so she can't really catch up. This is usually treated with Growth hormones, which are usually not done until a child is 2, so we won't know much more about that until then.

We don't have to go back until September 17. I am assuming that is if the blood work shows nothing? I don't really know. But as of right now, that is when we go back.

So, that is about all we know right now. I am going to call the Urologist tomorrow and get on that waiting list, just to get it out of the way. And Addie has her big 1 year appointment, on Thursday, so I am excited about that!

No comments: